We ensure the strict compliance and effective application of the norms set forth in Decree Law 8 of February 26, 1998, in Law 2 of January 6, 2009, by which the Maritime Labor Convention is adopted , 2006 (MLC) and Executive Decree 86 of February 22, 2013, by which the Maritime Labor Convention, 2006 (MLC) is regulated.
- List of Recognized Organizations authorized to issue a Certificate of Inspection of Crew Accommodation (CICA)
- Seafarer’s Contract Template
The Maritime Labour Convention (MLC) embodies standards of existing international maritime labour conventions and recommendations, as well as the fundamental principles to be found in other international labour conventions. The aim of the convention is to address the employment standards of seafarers in the areas of fair wages, contractual terms, working and living conditions, as well as their health and safety on board ships.
Requirements For The Recognition Of Private Seafarer Recruitment And Placement Services Which Operate From Foreign Territory:
- Power of attorney and application, through a Panamanian licensed lawyer, addressed to the General Director of Seafarers, containing the following information:
1. Solicitant’s general information (address, telephone number, e-mail address, complete name and data of the Legal Representative, head country, number of international agencies, if it were the case).
- Registration Certificate or Certificate of Incorporation, duly apostilled and translated into the Spanish language, specifying its:
b. Legal Representative.
d. Board of Directors and Dignitaries.
- Operating License, resolution or authorization duly apostilled or authenticated by a Panamanian Consul issued by the equivalent Governmental body where the Seafarer Recruitment and Placement Agency operates.
a. Must be stated that it can operate as a Seafarer and Placement Agency, in case of being issued in a different language than Spanish, shall be translated into this one.
- Fee correspondent payment (Certified check).
- Copy of the Quality System Certificate and Procedures Manual of the applicant to perform seafarer recruitment and placement services.
1. Should be sent in electronic format.
The Maritime Labour Affairs Department will be verifying the fulfillment of the requirements and set a date in order to perform the inspection of Seafarer Recruitment and Placement Agent’s Facilities that operates outside the national borders.
In order to filling the gaps of deficient, incomplete or missing documentation, a term not exceeding three (3) calendar months will be given to the Placement Agency’s legal representative. An expired Resolution of the instance will be issued, and the Private Seafarer Recruitment and Placement Service may not reopen its case within the next year of the Resolution’s execution date.
The documentary evaluation’s results and its respective audit will be submitted to be analyzed by the Evaluating Committee of the Seafarers Recruitment and Placement Agencies, in order to issue recommendations for the General Directorate of Seafarers, according to the MLC, 2006, quality standards and further provisions of the Republic of Panama.
The recognition as a private seafarer recruitment and placement service (placement agencies), issued by the General directorate of seafarers, will have a validity of five (5) years.
On-site inspections to Private Seafarers Recruitment and Placement Private Agencies may be performed by the General Directorate of Seafarers, through Panama Maritime Authority’s officials.
The Placement Agencies (Private Seafarer Recruitment and Placement Services) which operates from foreign territory must cover expenditures on airfare, lodging cost, local transportation, medical expenses, and per diem of the General Directorate of Seafarers’ officials, who perform the on-site inspections, according with the applicable Republic of Panama’s General State Budget Law financial year, corresponding to the inspection’s date.
Application of Private Seafarer Recruitment and Placement Services’ Recognition